We’re Hiring! Sr. Donor Engagement Manager
July 2, 2021
Sr. Donor Engagement Manager
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
UWSM is seeking an ambitious, highly organized multi-tasker with experience in fundraising, program management, and volunteer management. A passion for donor engagement and community impact is a must!
Under the supervision of the Director of Donor Engagement and Major Gifts, this position is responsible for engaging donors and increasing revenue through two primary avenues: 1) By providing program leadership of UWSM’s Women United giving circle; and 2) stewarding donors across UWSM, ensuring they feel connected to the mission and impact of the organization.
Women United Program Management – 50%
This role serves as the staff leader for Women United, a fundraising-focused giving circle whose impact supports two-generation strategies that advance opportunities for underserved single mothers and their children. Comprised of approximately 100 members who annually invest more than $170,000 through strategic grants into the southern Maine community, Women United’s work aligns with Thrive2027, our community’s 10-year commitment to achieve 3 goals. The successful manager will collaborate closely with volunteers to:
- Maintain and expand meaningful relationships on behalf of UWSM with Women United members and prospects to engage them in the work, with a goal of doubling annual revenue within 3 years.
- Coordinate and leverage Women United’s fifth-anniversary year efforts (2022).
- Develop a long-range strategic fundraising and impact plan serving Southern Maine.
- Plan and execute engagement activities such as volunteer projects, social networking, events, and other opportunities for members to connect with each other and to the work.
- Grow membership revenue and overall philanthropic investment by Women United for the Southern Maine community through individual, team, and volunteer-led strategies.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to volunteer leaders such as coordinating committee meetings, developing agendas, drafting minutes, and offering best practice knowledge to volunteer leaders.
- Assist with recruitment and succession planning of key Women United volunteers and provide overall governance guidance to ensure robust volunteer leadership of Women United.
- Be the go-to point of contact to assist team members with their own fundraising plans as they relate to Women United.
Individual Donor Stewardship – 40%
This role serves as the staff contact on donor stewardship activities, liaising with Resource Development and Marketing teams to cultivate strategic engagement opportunities for donors across Leadership Circle (donors giving $1,000 – $9,999 annually), corporate campaigns, and giving circles. This role ensures that our donors feel connected to our work, know their stories and their “why” taken into account and shared within the community, and listen to their feedback. The successful manager will oversee stewardship UWSM’s stewardship work as a player-coach role and will:
- Focus on meaningful stewardship strategies to ensure donor engagement and connection to the work of UWSM.
- Collaborate closely with UWSM’s Marketing Team to build out and implement a year-round stewardship plan with communication and activities commensurate with levels of giving across the organization.
- Ensure that donors are regularly stewarded across the year through a variety of individual and group communications, including event planning, annual mailing, and public recognition and volunteer opportunities.
- Establish and manage a donor satisfaction index, based on annual assessment and donor feedback.
- Demystify the work of UWSM in a way that meets donors according to their community interests and provides them with expanded opportunities to engage deeper in the work.
- Ensures UWSM’s corporate partners are provided with meaningful and appropriate recognition in the community and explore opportunities for employees to connect in group activities with UWSM.
Other – 10%
- Ensure Women United messaging and overall brand conform with UWSM and United Way Worldwide brand and messaging standards.
- Participate as a team member in Resource Development and organizational activities.
- Provide superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Volunteer and actively participate in projects and special events that support the work of the entire organization.
- Other organizational duties as requested.
- Demonstrates UWSM’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent.
- Three to five years relevant experience (donor relations, fundraising, program management, sales, account management, marketing/communications).
- Volunteer management experience strongly desired.
- Donor-centered, strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both verbally and in writing, and comfort with interacting with people of diverse backgrounds.
- A strong public speaker with the ability to represent UWSM to large and small groups.
- Must be an innovative self-starter and team player, with a positive outlook and ability to manage ambiguity and change, proficient in identifying solutions and opportunities.
- Understanding of individual fundraising best practices (such as constituent relationship management and moves management) desirable.
- Strong organizational skills, with a proven ability to manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously, exercise discretion and professional judgment, and the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). CRM sales and/or donor software experience desirable.
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and ability to secure use of a personal vehicle within 30 days of employment required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time 40-hour per week position. A flexible work schedule may be permitted within normal office hours (8:30 AM-5 PM); however, the position may entail frequent events and meetings outside of normal business hours as necessary, including 7:30 AM meetings and evening events. During peak times, long hours may be required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Why choose United Way of Southern Maine?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 38 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Southern Maine offers:
- Convenient and central Portland and Kennebunk locations with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
UWSM is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
UWSM has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who UWSM will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Southern Maine we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted through July 23, 2021. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a PDF of this Posting: Senior Donor Engagement Manager WU Job Description