We’re Hiring! Marketing Manager
April 27, 2021
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
Under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications, this position helps to advance the brand and positively position United Way as a philanthropic leader and trusted partner in the community. The position also has direct management of the Thrive2027 brand and helps to promote, cultivate, and engage the community in the work of Thrive2027 and the three goal areas. The successful candidate is an exceptional writer with a strategic mindset and a strong project manager. The Marketing Manager will increase the awareness and visibility of UWGP and Thrive2027 among the public, donors, advocates, and volunteers through strategic execution of marketing plans, events, and the development of compelling content. This position will provide creative input; help create and implement an organization-wide integrated marketing plan; collaborate with staff to ensure consistent messaging and uniformity of presentation; measure results; and make adjustments for continuous improvement.
Marketing Communications and Production
- Leads Thrive2027 marketing and communication efforts including coordinating and promoting webinars and ambassador program, aggregating, and disseminating content for social media and newsletters, etc.
- Creates, manages, measures, and tests UWGP direct marketing including individual giving mailings, thank you letters, and planned giving.
- Works with UWGP Volunteer Director to oversee, create, and distribute monthly volunteer newsletter.
- Provides support as needed to maintain and update UWGP and Thrive2027 websites and social media channels including running promotions and campaigns via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Runs monthly performance tracking and data analysis reports to track UWGP and Thrive2027 KPIs and works with team to adapt strategy to ensure progress against goals.
- Oversees printed inventory, includes managing vendor relationships and working with internal staff to initiate and replenish as needed.
- Creates engaging blog posts, event emails, direct mail, marketing materials, infographics, social media posts and promotions, etc. to support UWGP and Thrive2027 marketing strategy.
- Produces UWGP and Thrive2027 content according to a production calendar and works closely with colleagues to brainstorm ideas, translate complex information and concepts into accessible and persuasive content, and foster a storytelling culture.
- Collaborates across departments and with external vendors to build and ensure positive brand experiences for prospective donors, volunteers, and advocates.
- Participates in small- to large-scale organizational and community event planning process, including but not limited to Giving Circles, Week of Action, Campaign Kickoff, Annual Meeting, Campaign Celebration, and other events.
- Supports virtual and live events (e.g. Zoom meeting setup, hosting, registration management, post event communication, post event reporting, etc.)
- Manages Asset Library – File Health and Storage Check and Digital Asset Management.
- Keeps the Director and Senior Manager apprised of workflow.
- Participates as a team member in Technology and Communications department, organizational activities, and local community events, where applicable.
- Works simultaneously on multiple projects and expertly manage multiple deadlines.
- Sees both the minute design details and the bigger brand picture.
- Collaborates across departments to bring projects to timely completion.
- Volunteers and actively participates in cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
- Works with Database Manager to track donor solicitations and touch points (event attendee, volunteer, etc.).
- Demonstrates UWGP’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
- Provides superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Provides assistance with other marketing, fundraising, and donor engagement duties as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Skills Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing, business, English, or related discipline, or experience equivalent
- 2-4 years’ experience in content development and/or writing and marketing. Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally as part of a team to accomplish individual and mutually defined goals within specified timeframes
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills, with a proven ability to translate complex information and concepts into accessible and persuasive content
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Must be organized and task oriented to ensure deadlines are met
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Capacity to take direction and apply constructive feedback to new projects and tasks
- Superior attention to detail / Ability to meticulously proofread
- High level of professionalism
- Strong listening skills and ability to see new opportunities or broader implications
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Digital communications experience preferred
- Social media experience, or experience managing business social media accounts preferred
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Experience working with WordPress, Salesforce, and CRM preferred
- Experience in photography and/or videography is a plus
This job operates in a professional office environment.
Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, cell phone, and use of a personal vehicle required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position may require long hours including early morning meetings, evening events, and weekend work during peak times.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 36 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient and central Portland location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted through May 21, 2021. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.