We’re Hiring! Director, Corporate Engagement
November 8, 2019
Director, Corporate Engagement
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. We are seeking a high-energy individual with a commitment to excellence who takes initiative with a positive outlook and who can manage ambiguity, change, and multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Three or more years of staff leadership experience and attention to detail are critical to success in this role.
The Director of Corporate Engagement (DCE) supports and advances United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP) mission of improving lives by establishing, strengthening and maintaining high-quality relationships with individuals and organizations to attract and sustain resources to support the community goals, Thrive2027, and UWGP’s strategic plan.
The DCE works with the SVP of Resource Development & Governance and the United Way of Greater Portland (UWGP) Corporate Engagement team to grow and strengthen our relationships with Employee Campaign Managers, individual donors, and executive leaders within key organizations in order to expand United Way’s presence throughout the organization. These relationships are meant to inspire greater and more consistent involvement with us and will result in greater generosity of time, influence, and money.
This position is responsible for leading and executing fundraising growth for the annual workplace campaign by leading the collaborative efforts of the corporate engagement staff, volunteers and other key internal and external stakeholders. The DCE helps develop year-round relationship-building strategies and ensures the alignment of initiatives with revenue and volunteer goals to create a consistent, positive experience for employees and organizations at every touchpoint.
This position requires a high-energy individual with a commitment to excellence who takes initiative with a positive outlook and who can manage ambiguity, change, and multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Attention to detail is critical to success in this role.
- Lead and manage the Corporate Engagement team by recruiting, developing, coaching, motivating, and providing direction to Relationship Managers and support staff, including Loaned Executives, to meet performance and annual fundraising goals.
- Identify, research, and solicit corporate investors. Cultivate ongoing relationships with companies, employees, community leaders, and organizations by providing year-round customer service, support, and opportunities to engage in United Way’s work.
- Maintain UW’s reputation and builds community confidence in UW by representing the organization and speaking at various public and community functions.
- Manage and coordinate annual campaign goal-setting process.
- Coordinate recruitment, training, and curriculum design of UWGP’s Loaned Executive program.
- Manage a portfolio of 2 to 3 corporate accounts including workplace campaigns and year-round engagement.
- Assist SVP Resource Development and Marketing with development and management of Resource Development department budget. Provides recommendations for ensuring necessary resources for growth.
- Ensure Corporate Engagement team is proactively maintaining real-time revenue projections in UWGP’s CRM system based on best practice.
- Work with Marketing team to ensure effective campaign promotional materials are developed and implemented in accordance with campaign plans.
- Provide regular campaign status reports to SVP, Resource Development and Marketing.
Strategy and Process 20%
- Lead, develop and implement long-term account management and fundraising strategies that align with UWGP’s mission and organizational goals and increase revenue from corporations and other organizations.
- Execute, refine, and improve annual campaign plan and processes that support it to ensure annual campaign goals are met on time and on budget.
- Work with entire Resource Development department to develop and implement department-wide best practices for fundraising innovation in the workplace.
- Along with SVP, Resource Development, set corporate account portfolio assignments for Resource Development.
- Work with Donor Engagement team to drive corporate engagement strategies that promote growth of UWGP’s “affinity” groups in accordance with strategic plan. This includes goal setting within the corporate campaign divisions.
- Assist in the ongoing management of Andar database, ensuring strong utilization of this tool by Corporate Engagement staff. Ensures training and guidance for Relationship Managers on database usage and any CRM functions developed.
- Analyze prior campaign results, corporate trends and intelligence with Relationship Managers to develop growth plans that achieve results in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Develop and implement strategies to assist department with year-round engagement and relationship-building objectives.
Volunteer Engagement 15%
- Work with the SVP, Resource Development to provide community leadership for the annual workplace campaign by recruiting, selecting, and providing guidance for an annual campaign chair and all campaign cabinet members.
- Provide direct support/management of the Campaign Chair on efforts including Cabinet recruitment (and succession), regular campaign progress updates, and coordination of Campaign Cabinet meetings and trainings.
- Ensure open channels exist for collecting volunteer feedback and evaluation to inform continuous improvement.
- Participate as a team member of Resource Development and Marketing in organizational activities.
- Serve as an active member of the Resource Development and Marketing management team.
- Provide world-class experience that exceeds expectations of volunteers and stakeholders.
- Volunteer and actively participate in office projects, cross-functional teams, or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
- Demonstrate a commitment to UWGP’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Duties require completion of a Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to the mission of United Way of Greater Portland
- 3+ years relevant experience
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Outward-facing leadership with a keen ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships; demeanor, appearance, and communication style is very professional; strong interpersonal skills
- Self-management and team player, with a positive outlook and ability to manage ambiguity and change
- Problem-solver identifying potential solutions and opportunities even when the path forward is not clear
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. CRM (e.g. Salesforce, Blackbaud) database software experience desirable
- Proven ability to manage to multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated strong self-motivation, discretion, and independent work with limited supervision
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and use of a personal vehicle required
This position directly supervises a team of three relationship managers
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position may require long hours including early morning meetings, evening events, and weekend work during peak times.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 35 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous vacation and holiday pay and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient downtown location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Health Club membership at a deeply discounted monthly rate
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until November 29, 2019. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Amy Fecteau, Director, Human Resources at email@example.com.