Kick Off United Way’s 2019 Campaign at the United We CAN Food Drive + Sculpture Contest
June 26, 2019
Kick off United Way’s 2019 Campaign at the United We CAN Food Drive + Sculpture Contest
Join us to kick off United Way of Greater Portland’s Annual Campaign with the United We CAN Food Drive + Sculpture Contest on Friday September 13, 2019. Teams will construct sculptures from 8:00 – 11:30 a.m. (spectators are welcome). Sculptures will be on display during the Annual Campaign Kickoff event in Monument Square from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Wayside Food Programs will distribute collected food to pantries throughout Cumberland County.
Confirmed Teams for 2019: (There’s still space for more companies. Sign Up Below!)
2 Dine In
Bank of America
CCB Construction Services
Dead River Company
Gorham Savings Bank
Martin’s Point Health Care
People’s United Bank
- Build any kind of structure — from the simple to the ornate!
- Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 50% food items and/or basic needs items. A platform is suggested.
- Sculptures must fit within a 10’x10’ space unless otherwise requested.
- Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in a way that makes them unsuitable for donation. You may cover food items with paper as long as it’s taped to itself and removed by your team after the event.
- Teams may construct sculptures between 8:00 – 11:30 a.m. on September 13. (It’s not necessary to be there the entire time.)
- A team from your organization is needed to clean up and load food from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Best practices tip! Track and share the following:
- # of volunteers
- # of materials used, e.g. cinder blocks, plywood, tape, etc.
- # of items collected, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter
- Other fun facts (see Dead River Company’s list to the right)
Are you a business with a downtown storefront? Click here to learn about our window display contest.
- Register your team below or by emailing email@example.com.
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a “trial run.”
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!
Are you interested in building a structure but don’t think that you have enough people for your own team? Let us know, we can match you up with others who are in the same boat.
Need ideas on what to build?