Provide Basic Health Care Access
United Way of Greater Portland is dedicated to supporting agencies that provide home nursing care and dental services to those who need it most.
- Home Nursing Care Whether healing at home or preparing to have a child, caring support comes in the form of visits from registered nurses, home health aides, physical therapists and more through United Way-funded agencies.
- Dental Services United Way-funded programs provide access to basic preventative, restorative dental care, and dentures to those in need.
Keeping Seniors Safe and Independent
United Way of Greater Portland is helping to make sure that older adults live safe, independent, and enriching lives.
- Providing Independence Many seniors want to continue living in their home as long as possible. In order to do so safely they often need affordable homemaker or home nursing care services. Family caregivers may need training and support. United Way partners with agencies who provide the tools and resources that help keep seniors in their homes longer.
- Keeping Seniors Engaged Seniors benefit from daily activity and interaction with peers. United Way partner agencies host programs that provide volunteer opportunities with youth and fellow seniors. Promoting the well being of seniors helps our community as a whole.
- Legal Services United Way partner agencies help prevent seniors from elder abuse by providing services for elders who are victims of physical abuse and financial exploitation, access to high quality civil legal services, and even direct and free access to an attorney or paralegal over the phone.
Helping Children to Eat Healthy and be Active
Studies show the obesity rate among children has nearly doubled in the last 10 years. And weight related health issues in children can lead to more serious problems, such as diabetes and heart disease in adulthood. Together, we can reverse the epidemic of childhood obesity.
How does United Way of Greater Portland help? United Way was a founding partner of Let’s Go! and continues to supports this program that promotes youth health and wellness across Cumberland County.
United Way of Greater Portland has partnered with teachers, doctors, child care providers, corporate, nonprofit, and community organizations to develop Let’s Go!, a nationally recognized childhood obesity prevention program to make the healthy choice the easy choice. In its 9th year, Let’s Go! reached over 62,000 children in Cumberland County.
Preventing Violence and Abuse
One in ten adults in Cumberland County is affected by domestic violence. United Way is dedicated to preventing domestic violence in our region and providing support for victims through shelters, access to mental health services, legal services, and agencies that advocate for victims.
- Abuse Prevention Education Stopping abuse before it starts is the goal of United Way and its partner agencies. United Way funds programs that provide parental education and support groups, outreach and educational trainings to first response professionals, abuse prevention programs in schools, and much more.
- Safe Havens and Legal Services United Way funds everything from intervention response services teams to shelters to legal services.
Providing Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
Mental illness and substance abuse have far-reaching impacts, affecting one’s personal situation (family, financial well-being, physical health) and the community at large. Further complicating matters, people who suffer from mental illness and substance abuse often face social stigmas that make it difficult to seek and receive treatment and support.
How does United Way of Greater Portland help? United Way supports agencies that offer adults and youth and their families counseling, education, substance abuse prevention and recovery programs, crisis intervention, peer support, supportive housing services, programs that give a sense of belonging, and more. In addition to providing funding for local non-profits that support people in need, we offer 2-1-1, a free, confidential, 24/7 helpline that connects callers to resources for counseling, crisis intervention, support groups, alcohol and drug rehabilitation and more.