CA$H Greater Portland
CA$H Greater Portland (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope), an initiative of United Way of Greater Portland, is a partnership of community leaders and industry experts working together to help empower individuals and families to achieve long-term financial stability. CA$H is a year-round resource, providing outreach and education about ways you can make the most of your money. We offer free tax preparation to qualified filers during tax season; help employers bring financial education tools to their employees; and educate hard-working families and individuals about programs in the community that can increase your income, reduce debt, and build savings.
Since 2004, CA$H Greater Portland’s free tax preparation events have provided $1.2 million in free tax preparation services, helped 6,077 individuals and families receive more than $10.9 million in federal and state income tax refunds, and apply for $3.2 million in federal Earned Income Tax Credits.
- 1,070 FREE state and federal tax returns prepared
- $94K in filing fee savings
- 543 asset building activities
- 146 volunteers and 1,941 volunteer hours
Volunteer Positions Available:
Tax preparers complete federal and state tax returns. Excellent customer service is essential.
- 3 hr. software training
- 3 hr. State of Maine training
- Online self directed:
- Varies – 10 to 20 hours per level
Schedulers answer calls from interested tax filers, screen for eligibility and level of return, and schedule appointments using an Excel spreadsheet.
- Training time: One hour
Intake & Asset Guide:
Tax filers meet with an Intake & Asset Guides to discuss asset building and savings options. Intake & Asset Guides make sure all clients have all required documents and highlight key info for tax preparers, and they complete the intake form with tax filers.
- Training time: 2 hours
Greeters open the door for tax filers, welcome them, and direct them to the tax site. Greeters also make reminder calls to tax filers with upcoming appointments.
- Training time: 2 hours
Interpreters & Translators:
Interpreters assist tax filers and tax preparers who use different languages to effectively communicate. Translators change written documents from one language to another.
- Training time: 1 hour
Please email CASH@Goodwillnne.org or call 699-0753.
- Do you have unclaimed assets? You may have left money behind, from a job, bank account, or another state. It takes 2 minutes to find out:www.missingmoney.com.
- Did you receive an income tax refund? You can get your refund throughout the year instead, and have more money every month to pay bills. Go to your workplace payroll department, and change your W-4 to withhold fewer taxes from your paycheck. Click here for instructions from the IRS.
- Do you quality for Maine benefits? Visit My Maine Connection to get connected to low- or no-cost health care, help with buying food or prescription drugs, assistance with paying for child care, special tax credit, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Looking for money saving resources? Download Top Ten Money Saving Tips.