CA$H Greater Portland
CA$H Greater Portland (Creating Assets, Savings and Hope), an initiative of United Way of Greater Portland, is a partnership of community leaders and industry experts working together to help empower individuals and families to achieve long-term financial stability. CA$H is a year-round resource, providing outreach and education about ways you can make the most of your money. We offer free tax preparation to qualified filers during tax season; help employers bring financial education tools to their employees; and educate hard-working families and individuals about programs in the community that can increase your income, reduce debt, and build savings.
Since 2004, CA$H Greater Portland’s free tax preparation events have provided $1.2 million in free tax preparation services, helped 6,077 individuals and families receive more than $10.9 million in federal and state income tax refunds, and apply for $3.2 million in federal Earned Income Tax Credits.
- 1,070 FREE state and federal tax returns prepared
- $94K in filing fee savings
- 543 asset building activities
- 146 volunteers and 1,941 volunteer hours
- Do you have unclaimed assets? You may have left money behind, from a job, bank account, or another state. It takes 2 minutes to find out:www.missingmoney.com.
- Did you receive an income tax refund? You can get your refund throughout the year instead, and have more money every month to pay bills. Go to your workplace payroll department, and change your W-4 to withhold fewer taxes from your paycheck. Click here for instructions from the IRS.
- Do you quality for Maine benefits? Visit My Maine Connection to get connected to low- or no-cost health care, help with buying food or prescription drugs, assistance with paying for child care, special tax credit, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Looking for money saving resources? Download Top Ten Money Saving Tips.