Keep Me Warm

logo straightYour support
 can help our friends and neighbors stay safe and warm in their homes this winter.

Keep ME Warm provides emergency heating assistance through a statewide partnership of Maine’s United Ways and Community Action Agencies. Donations are distributed through a formula based on federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) percentages and population, and are used to assist individuals directly, or designated to local organizations that provide emergency fuel assistance, including faith-based programs and nonprofit agencies. Keep ME Warm is the only statewide fuel assistance fundraising effort in the state of Maine.

The need for heating assistance in Maine has increased significantly in the last few years, driven by high heating oil prices and decreased federal funding, combined with changes to federal guidelines that have made over 4,000 Mainers ineligible for LIHEAP. Thousands of Mainers are faced with choosing between heating their homes and basic needs like food and medicine.

Thank you for helping to make the winter warmer and safer for Maine families. 

Do you or someone you know need help? Dial 2-1-1 or visit for information on heating assistance and weatherization services near you. 2-1-1 Maine is a statewide health and human services information and referral service created by the United Ways of Maine, in partnership with The Opportunity Alliance and the State of Maine.


What is Keep ME Warm?

Keep ME Warm is a statewide partnership of the 10 United Ways in Maine and the 10 Community Action Programs to supplement fuel assistance programs.

How will funds be distributed?

United Way of Greater Portland will collect and distribute funds based on a formula developed by the Community Action Programs and United Ways in Maine. Community Action Programs receive 65% of the funds, United Ways receive 25%, and 2-1-1 Maine receives the remaining 10%.

Who will receive help from these funds?

Your donations to Keep ME Warm will provide emergency heating assistance. Community Action Programs will use the funds to help households with fuel assistance that may not be eligible for limited federal, state or local fuel assistance programs. United Ways and 2-1-1 Maine will use the funds to support additional organizations and agencies that can help those in need of fuel assistance.

Why should I give to Keep ME Warm?

Someone you know, perhaps a friend or neighbor who might need fuel assistance due to the challenging economy, high fuel prices and the onset of the coldest months of the year. It is important to remember that donations will support people throughout the state.

Is my donation tax deductible?


How do I donate?

Donations can be made in two ways: online or make checks payable to United Way of Greater Portland and mail to:

Keep ME Warm
c/o United Way of Greater Portland
P.O. Box 15200
Portland, ME 04112

If someone needs help paying their fuel bills, what should they do?

Those needing information about fuel assistance should call 2-1-1 Maine by dialing 2-1-1.