The Tocqueville Society – named in honor of the man who recognized one of our greatest strengths and shared that knowledge with the world – was formed in 1993 in Greater Portland. Composed of community leaders and philanthropists who contribute an annual gift of $10,000 or more to United Way, the spirit of caring is ever-present in this generous group of donors. Tocqueville Society members show an extraordinary commitment, foresight, and dedication that enables United Way of Greater Portland to drive real change by helping those in need today and creating a stronger community tomorrow.
Hear more from Sam Ladd, 2012 Tocqueville Chair.
Step Up to Tocqueville
Through the Step Up program, it’s easy to join the Tocqueville Society. You can immediately be recognized as a member with an initial contribution of $5,000 or more, and a three-year commitment.
Learn more >
Tocqueville Society Levels
Tocqueville Society levels stem from three virtues Alexis de Tocqueville admired in American society—liberty, equality and neighbor helping neighbor, or “Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité.” In 2013, the Ordre de la Générosité level was added, encouraging members to increase their philanthropic impact.
- Membres de la Société — $10,000 – $14,999
- Ordre de la Générosité — $15,000 – $24,999
- Ordre dé Liberté — $25,000 – $49,999
- Ordre d’Egalité — $50,000 – $74,999
- Ordre de Fraternité — $75,000 – $99,999
Tocqueville Society aims to:
- Change lives through philanthropic leadership focused on driving community-level change and the building blocks for a better life: a quality education that leads to a stable job, income that can support a family through retirement, and good health.
- Communicate the vital role of personal philanthropic action in addressing the underlying causes of societal problems.
- Foster philanthropic action and voluntary service through a network of like-minded leaders across the globe.
Giving That Gets Results
Together, Tocqueville Society members invest over $1,200,000 in our local community every year, and more than $556 million worldwide.
To learn more about joining the Tocqueville Society, contact Mara Robinov-Moorhead, Director of Donor Engagement, at (207) 874-1000 x 2321 or firstname.lastname@example.org.