Women United Manager
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
Under supervision of the Director of Donor Engagement, this part-time (20 hours per week) position acts as a catalyst to sustain the rapid growth and success of United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) Women United affinity group to help advance UWGP’s Community Impact strategy.
This individual serves as the staff leader for Women United, an affinity group which is currently comprised of approximately 100 members who annually invest more than $170,000 through strategic grants into the Greater Portland community aligned with Thrive2027, our community’s 10-year commitment to achieve 3 goals. Additional information on Women United can be found here.
Women United Program Management
- Using a servant-leader mentality, serve as UWGP’s staff leader for Women United affinity group, focused on expanding Two-Generation efforts to advance opportunities for single mothers and their children.
- Develop meaningful relationships on behalf of UWGP with Women United members and prospects to engage them in the work.
- Plan and execute engagement activities such as volunteer projects, social networking, events and other opportunities for members to connect with each other and to the work.
- Grow membership revenue and overall philanthropic investment by Women United for the Greater Portland community through individual, team, and volunteer-led strategies.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to volunteer leaders such as coordinating committee meetings, developing agendas, drafting minutes and offering best practice knowledge to volunteer leaders.
- Assist with recruitment and succession planning of key Women United volunteers.
- Be the go-to point of contact to assist team members with their own fundraising plans as they relate to Women United.
- Work closely in collaboration with UWGP’s designated Community Impact staff to help identify potential projects and advance UWGP’s Community Impact strategies and objectives via Women United investments.
- Ensure Women United messaging and overall brand conform with UWGP and United Way Worldwide brand and messaging standards.
- Participate as a team member in Resource Development and Marketing and organizational activities.
- Provide superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Volunteer and actively participate in projects and special events that support the work of the entire organization.
- Other organizational duties as requested.
- Demonstrates UWGP’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
Required Skills and Experience:
- Three to five years’ relevant experience (sales, fundraising, donor relations, account management, marketing/communications).
- Volunteer management experience strongly desired.
- Donor-centered, strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both verbally and in writing, and comfort with interacting with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong public speaker with the ability to represent UWGP to large and small groups.
- Must be an innovative self-starter and team player, with a positive outlook and ability to manage ambiguity and change, proficient in identifying solutions and opportunities.
- Understanding of individual fundraising best practices (such as constituent relationship management and moves management) desirable.
- Strong organizational skills, with a proven ability to manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously, exercise discretion and professional judgment, and the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint). CRM sales and/or donor software experience desirable.
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and ability to secure use of a personal vehicle within 30 days of employment required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time 20-hour per week position. A flexible work schedule may be permitted within normal office hours (8:30 AM-5PM), however the position entails frequent events and meetings outside of normal business hours as necessary, including 7:30 AM meetings and evening events.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community level change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 32 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous vacation and holiday pay and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient downtown location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Health Club membership at a deeply discounted monthly rate
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Paid volunteer time off
- A great team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
Organizational Core Values:
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Daisy Wilson, email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until July 13, 2018