Donor Engagement Manager
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
Under supervision of the Director of Donor Engagement, this position builds, supports, and advances high- quality, year-round relationships with donors and prospects. This individual serves as the staff leader for United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) Leaders’ Circle ($1,000+) annual donors and Brick & Beam Society, our local affinity group for rising professionals, to generate and sustain philanthropic giving to support United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) strategic vision for the community, and ten-year goals (Thrive2027). Additional information can be found here: http://www.thrive2027.org/ and here: http://www.brickandbeam.org/
This individual provides strategic direction and world class volunteer support while managing a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors as part of a larger team effort to ensure sufficient financial resources are in place to invest in strategies that improve conditions in our community.
Individual Philanthropy/Portfolio Management (35%)
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Donor Engagement to execute a year-round Engagement plan focused on cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of existing and prospective Leaders’ Circle donors.
- Regularly meet face-to-face with donors and prospects to identify individual areas of interest around UWGP focus areas and develop personal strategies to connect donor interests with the organization’s funding needs.
- Achieve annual and multi-year fundraising and donor engagement targets.
- Increase Leaders’ Circle overall revenue including average gift and increased membership.
- Identify and help qualify Tocqueville Society (major giving) prospects including recommendations for upgrade strategies.
- Cross-promote giving opportunities including planned giving and project-based giving.
- Serve as liaison to the Resource Development team as the go-to expert for Leaders’ Circle giving and Brick & Beam through UWGP’s workforce giving campaigns.
Brick & Beam Society Program Management (35%)
- Serve as UWGP’s staff leader for Brick & Beam Society affinity group, with a servant-leader mentality focused on building greater Portland’s next generation of philanthropic leaders (http://www.brickandbeam.org/).
- Develop strategies to grow membership to advance overall Community Impact priorities through investments made by Brick & Beam for the Greater Portland community.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to volunteer leaders such as coordinating committee meetings, developing agendas, drafting minutes and offering best practice knowledge to volunteer leaders.
- Leverage volunteers for peer solicitation efforts.
- Assist with recruitment and succession planning of key Brick & Beam volunteers.
- Plan and execute Brick & Beam engagement events to steward members and cultivate potential new members.
- Ensure Brick & Beam messaging and overall brand conform with UWGP and United Way Worldwide’s brand and messaging standards.
Corporate Philanthropy/Portfolio Management (10%)
- Serve as staff coordinator to manage and track Resource Development team efforts to secure new business accounts.
- Staff the New Business volunteer sub-committee of UWGP’s Campaign Cabinet.
Prospect Management and Research (10%)
- In collaboration with other Resource Development staff and utilizing research and data tools and best practice, proactively “mine” Tocqueville Society and Brick & Beam Society prospects and conduct personalized efforts to convert their support.
- Help implement a standardized rating and process for prospect discovery, identification, and qualification with team as it relates to our donor database.
- Manage donor insights efficiently and accurately in a way that promotes data-driven resource development.
- Research, identify, and solicit lapsed and potentially-lapsing Leaders’ Circle and Brick & Beam donors and re-engage these donors.
- Participate as a team member in Resource Development and Marketing and organizational activities.
- Provide superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Volunteer for and actively participate in projects, special events, cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
- Other organizational duties as requested
Demonstrate UWGP’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent
Required Skills and Experience:
- Three to five years’ relevant experience (sales, fundraising, donor relations, account management, marketing/communications).
- Volunteer management experience strongly desired.
- Strong understanding of proven strategies for reaching and engaging Millennials and “young” professionals through volunteerism and philanthropy.
- Donor-centered, strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must be an innovative self-starter and team player, with a positive outlook and ability to manage ambiguity and change, proficient in identifying solutions and opportunities.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both verbally and in writing, and comfortable interacting with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Strong public speaker and able to represent UWGP to large and small groups.
- Robust experience analyzing and utilizing data to identify gaps and develop strategies.
- Understanding of individual fundraising best practices (such as constituent relationship management and moves management) desirable.
- Strong organizational skills, with a proven ability to manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously, exercise discretion and professional judgement, and the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint). CRM sales and/or donor software experience desirable.
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and ability to secure use of a personal vehicle within 30 days of hire required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Travel is infrequent and primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected for purposes of training.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community level change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 32 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous vacation and holiday pay and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient downtown location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Health Club membership at a deeply discounted monthly rate
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Paid volunteer time off
- A great team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
Organizational Core Values:
At United Way of Greater Portland we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Daisy Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until July 6, 2018