If you or a loved one has been impacted by the federal government shutdown, the following organizations have offered support for furloughed workers:
Furloughed federal employees and government contractors in need of social services and individuals with questions about availability of public benefits can call 211 (or 1-866-811-5695) or text their zip code to 898-211 to get help.
211 Maine Specialists can help those in need connect to food pantries, health care services, and utility and eviction prevention assistance. Callers/texters can receive information on mental health counseling, transportation, job training, substance use recovery services, child care, and volunteer opportunities.
United for U.S. Fund
United for U.S. is a joint effort by corporate partners, organized labor, the United Way network and nonprofits to assist federal workers, contractors and others impacted by the government shutdown.
Local United Ways are providing a host of services to federal workers, contractors and others, including financial services and counseling, and where available, emergency assistance with food, rent and other basic needs, in partnership with local community organizations. Your contribution will help those impacted by the shutdown around the country.
100% of donations made by individuals to the United for U.S. Fund will be distributed to local United Ways in the most affected communities.
- Food pantries across Maine helping furloughed federal workers: Article in the Portland Press Herald (1/15)
- The City of Portland is teaming up with Wayside Food Programs to offer two mobile food pantries for any federal workers affected by the government shutdown. Federal workers do not need to live in Portland to participate, but must bring their federal ID. The mobile food pantries will be available on Monday, January 28, 2019 from 3:00 – 4:00 PM at City Hall in Room 24 and on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Portland International Jetport. FMI: City of Portland
- Since federal workers are being encouraged to apply for SNAP benefits, the Public Health Department’s SNAP-Ed program will offer 60-minute Pop-Up grocery store tours that are free of cost for participants. This is a portable version of the traditional Cooking Matters at the Store tour. Participants who complete the Pop-Up tour receive a $10 Hannaford gift card, reusable shopping bag and recipe booklet. There will also be information on hand on how participants can apply for SNAP benefits. Classes will be held at on Monday, January 28th, 2019 from 4-5 PM in Room 24 of City Hall and on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 from 10-11 AM at the Portland International Jetport. FMI: City of Portland
- The Portland Rotary Club is hosting a free pasta dinner on Saturday, January 26, 2019 from 3:00 – 5:00 PM at the Italian Heritage Center (40 Westland Ave in Portland) for all furloughed federal employees and their immediate families. For more information, please contact Mark Rajotte at 207-232-2383 or email@example.com. FMI: City of Portland
- If working conditions (like the shutdown) have changed for families with public school students, families can reach out to school administration and re-apply for free/reduced lunch designations. These changes can be granted within just a few short days. FMI: Maine Department of Education
- The South Portland Food Cupboard is open Wednesdays from Noon – 2:00 PM for Furloughed Federal Employees. FMI: South Portland Food Cupboard
Housing and Utilities
- Avesta Housing, Redfern Properties, Representative Victoria Morales, and Southern Maine Landlord Association are maintaining a website with resources for renters, homeowners and landlords, and they encourage those struggling with housing to contact them for assistance. FMI: Maine2019Shutdown.com
- Maine Water Company is asking federal workers who are affected by the partial government shutdown and have a water bill due soon to call 1-800-287-1643 to advise the company of their situation. FMI: MaineBiz
- Freeport Community Services is offering support to families in Freeport and Pownal who are in need of assistance. Their food pantry, thrift store, emergency assistance, fuel assistance, and other resources are available to help furloughed workers through this difficult time. FMI: Contact Sarah Lundin at (207) 865-3985 ext. 205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Partners for World Health would be happy to provide toiletries to any federal workers impacted by the shutdown. We can be contacted by phone, 207-774-5555 or by filling out the medical supply request form on their website.
- Atlantic Federal Credit Union, Capital Area Federal Credit Union, Northeast Credit Union, and Town & Country Federal Credit Union are offering loans and payment assistance to federal workers. FMI: Maine Credit Union League
- Katahdin Trust is encouraging customers who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the shutdown to contact their local branch to discuss their options until they begin receiving their regular government pay. FMI: Katahdin Trust
- Bangor Savings Bank is asking customers impacted by the government shutdown, please contact their Bangor Support team at 1-877-226-4671. FMI: Bangor Savings Bank
- Key Bank is offering assistance to government employees or member of the military who are impacted by the shutdown. FMI: Key Bank
- Many national banks are offering assistance to impacted federal workers. FMI: 211
- Most local banks and credit unions are offering assistance. Reach out to yours if it is not listed.
- The Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine is offering free admission to federal government workers with I.D. and their families during the government shutdown. FMI: Children’s Museum & Theatre of Maine
Support Local Families
- The Northern New England Chief Petty Officers Association is collecting donations to support Coast Guard employees. FMI: City of Portland
- The City of Portland is collecting food and toiletry donations at several City-owned facilities in which the public can donate items to be offered at the mobile pantries. FMI: City of Portland
Do you know of an additional resource that should be listed on this page? Please send an email to Ken Holmes, email@example.com indicating what you would like us to identify for information, including a link to the appropriate online resource.