In order for a community to thrive, we need to understand the complex issues that face our communities, our state, and our nation, and coming together to solve them. It’s not about politics, it’s about advocating for policies that help ensure children succeed in school, individuals live healthy lives, and everyone has the opportunity to achieve financial well-being.
Join the United Way of Greater Portland as we work for the common good by advocating positive change to improve the education, financial stability, and health for all members of our community. There are overarching local, state, and federal policies that impact the day-to-day operations of the agencies that provide vital services to our citizens.
$4 million a year in State funding was secured through successful statewide advocacy with key partners to expand pre-Kindergarten.
Let your voice be heard:
- Contact elected officials to tell them how you feel about upcoming bills or policies.
- Write a letter to the editor on an issue affecting your community that you feel passionately about. United Way needs people who are passionate about early learning, financial stability, and health to make some noise.
- Give us a shout out on social media. Tweet us on a #ff (follow Friday) and tell people why you like @unitedwaygp or post a comment or like a story on our Facebook page.
How You Can Advocate for Specific, Current PoliciesSNAP
- SNAP provides food benefits to a monthly average of over 189,000 people in Maine. Show your support by sharing your SNAP Story today.
- SNAP provided about $250,000,000 in food benefits to the people of Maine. Show your support by contacting your Senator King, Senator Collins, and Congresswoman Pingree and ask them how they plan to protect it.
- MaineCare expansion will help 80,000 Mainers get access to affordable healthcare, ensuring a stronger Maine. To show your support contact your state Representative and state Senator today and ask them to respect the will of the voters and implement expansion today.
How United Way of Greater Portland Advocates
United Way of Greater Portland considers itself a partner with the State of Maine in delivering quality health and human services. This partnership serves thousands of Maine citizens. During the legislative session, we testify and send letters to members of the legislature on issues that will improve the lives of Maine citizens. Whenever we can, United Way of Greater Portland works with other United Ways around the state to increase the strength of our message.
United Way of Greater Portland testifies and submits letters on issues that support a thriving community, including the importance of early learning, financial stability, and healthy lives.
On federal policy issues, United Way of Greater Portland follows the lead and recommendations of United Way Worldwide. When a federal issue impacts the Greater Portland area, we ensure our federal delegation is aware of the issue and work with them to find an appropriate method of advocacy. We also engage our representatives locally with initiatives in the community whenever possible.