United Way of Greater Portland is where the community comes together to help children, individuals, and families in ways that create a brighter future for all.
United Way of Greater Portland invests in helping individuals and in advancing community solutions. No other single organization has the scope, expertise, and influence to bring together hundreds of individuals, businesses, human services agencies, cities, and foundations around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting change.
Focused on the fundamental issues of education, financial stability, and health, United Way of Greater Portland supports nearly 40 partner agencies to support 89 programs serving all walks of life. By uniting a powerful regional network of best-in-class partners, we’re getting things done. Your gift of time, talent, money, or activism does more than it could through a single cause, charity, or agency.
By aligning a region-wide network around the same vision, more children succeed in school, more individuals lead healthy lives, and more people have the opportunity to achieve financial well-being. When you invest in United Way, you invest in a stronger community.
To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
- Engaged: identify needs and prioritize best interest of communities
- Inclusive: comprehensive and embracing of others
- Aware: considerate of diverse circumstances within communities
- Strategic: forward thinking, purposeful and informed
- Action-oriented: translate strategy into achievable outcomes
- Accountable: responsible for processes and outcomes
- Respectful: honoring and engaging different perspectives
- United: shared ownership
- Connected: aligning voices and activities
Committed to Excellence.
- Intentional: deliberate and driven by mission and data
- Efficient: organized, logical, productive and cost-effective
- Effective: prepared, delivering quality work and continuously improving
Leading with Integrity.
- Fair: equitable, just, inclusive, and trustworthy
- Realistic: reasonable, practical, and acknowledging our limitations
- Transparent: open, candid, and honest
In 1929, Walter G. Davis and a group of caring, forward thinking individuals founded the Portland Community Chest. The name of the organization changed to the United Fund in 1956, United Community Services in 1958 and United Way of Greater Portland in 1974. While our name has changed over the years, our mission has remained the same – to improve people’s lives and make Greater Portland a healthier, safer, and stronger place to live and work.
United Ways of Maine
United Way of Greater Portland of one of ten United Ways located throughout Maine.
United Way Worldwide
United Way of Greater Portland is part of the the United Way system, which includes approximately 1,800 community-based United Way organizations. Each is independent, separately incorporated and governed by local volunteers. To learn more about United Way Worldwide, visit their website.